Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Make your own iced mocha... plus a yummy snack!



I try not to splurge on the $4, 800-calorie drinks at the coffee shop. I really do. Sometimes, however, they are just too hard to resist. The iced mocha, which happens to be one of the most expensive and calorie-laden beverages on the typical coffee house menu, is my personal favorite. When I realized just how unhealthy these are, I decided to learn to make my own, lighter version. There are recipes all over the internet for iced coffee drinks, but most of them instruct you to brew the coffee and refrigerate it overnight. Sounds great.. unless you want that mocha NOW! I brew one cup of coffee with enough coffee for two cups, so the coffee is double-strength, then add ice to cool it off. Over the years, I have experimented with every different add-in you can imagine, but have finally decided this is the best recipe.

Iced mocha
1 cup very strong coffee
1 tablespoon half and half
2 tablespoons Hershey's chocolate syrup (the stuff you put on ice cream)
1 packet Splenda (or 2 t sugar)
1 cup ice
Reddi-Whip (optional)

Place coffee in a 16-oz cup (this would be a regular-sized drinking glass). Add half and half, chocolate syrup, and Splenda, and stir until combined. Fill cup the rest of the way with ice. Top with Reddi-Whip

To make it a frappe, put all ingredients except Reddi-Whip in a blender and blend until smooth.

The mocha pictured above has about 150 calories, and did not cost me $4


With my mocha, I had the most delicious, filling, and healthy snack that I heard about on another blog I like, www.carrotsncake.com. I added 1 teaspoon cinnamon to a cup of vanilla yogurt, then used this as a dip for apple slices. Tastes like apple pie!

No comments:

Post a Comment