Friday, December 16, 2011

Ricotta Corn Power Cakes with Fruit Fries


I love to treat myself to pancakes once in a while, but those really aren't feasible on my power food plan right now. I devised this recipe from power foods in hopes of creating a passable substitute for my old brunch-time treat, and I must say these are BETTER than regular pancakes! The ricotta cheese gave them a creamy, fluffy texture I've never experienced in a pancake, and the cornmeal gave them a crispy edge that can usually only be achieved by frying in butter. The fruit fries topping was the perfect substitute to sugary maple syrup. I used apples for my fruit topping today, but pears, bananas, peaches, or plums would all be good too.
Ricotta Corn Power Cakes
1 cup corn meal
1 packet Splenda
1/2 t baking powder
1/4 t salt
1 cup ricotta cheese
1 egg
1/2 cup skim milk (more if thinner pancakes are desired)
1 t vanilla

Mix dry ingredients in large bowl. Add ricotta, egg, milk, and vanilla and stir just until blended. Spray frying pan with cooking spray and heat over medium-high burner. Drop batter onto frying pan in 1/4 cup increments, leaving several inches between each cake. Cook about 4 minutes on each side, until cakes are golden brown.

Fruit Fries
1.5 cups fresh fruit, chopped into bite-sized pieces
1 T olive oil
1 t honey (this is not a power food, so you could use Splenda in it's place)
1/2 t cinnamon

Heat olive oil in skillet over medium heat. Add fresh fruit, honey and cinnamon and stir until combined. Continue to cook mixture until fruit softens, stirring occasionally. Cooking time will vary depending on the the type of fruit used. Apples took about 6 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment