Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Power Breakfast Egg Bake


I start work at 7 am and I'm not a morning person. Since I spend my 12-hour shift running from one patient to the next, skipping breakfast or eating something that isn't nutritious and filling is absolutely not an option. I usually take breakfast to work with me and eat it during report, meaning my workday breakfasts have to be convenient, portable, and provide me with enough energy to sustain me throughout my long morning. Currently, this egg bake is the breakfast that is meeting my needs. I make one every week, cut it into single serving pieces and put them in small containers that I can toss in my bag and microwave at work. It also freezes well so you can make more than one weeks' worth at a time if you want. It takes about 5 minutes to mix up the ingredients and pop them in the oven, and then you've got a whole week's worth of healthy breakfasts.

This recipe is adapted from a Weight Watchers quiche recipe from their New Complete Cookbook. I got rid of the crust completely, as it's a lot of work and calories I don't need. I change up the cheese, herbs and vegetables based on what I have in the house. Today's recipe has broccoli, cheddar cheese and paprika (would have liked to add chives but didn't have any), but I also frequently use feta and spinach with oregano or parmesan and cauliflower with tarragon.

Power Breakfast Egg Bake
5 large eggs
1/2 cup fat free cottage cheese
1/2 cup skim milk
1 cup cheese
1/2 T dried herbs
salt and pepper to taste
1.5 cups vegetables

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Spray a 9-inch pie dish with cooking spray. Break eggs into a bowl and lightly beat. Stir in cottage cheese and milk until well incorporated. Add cheese, herbs, salt and pepper to egg mixture and blend well. Spread vegetables in a single layer in pie dish and pour egg mixture over the top of the vegetables. Bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes or until center is solid and edges are golden brown. Makes 5 servings.

No comments:

Post a Comment