Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Spinach, Tomato and Herb Pasta


This pasta recipe is by far one of the best in my arsenal. It's quick and easy, delicious, and can be modified a million different ways for any occasion, and is a great way to use up leftovers from your kitchen. I made today's version to take as lunches for work and use up some spinach and tomatoes I wasn't going to get around to eating otherwise.

I make this pasta at least a few times every month, but I vary the vegetables, herbs, beans and/or cheese I use depending on what I've got lying around. If I'm tired of pasta (rarely happens), I'll use some other grain like rice or barley instead. To dress it up for guests, I might add white wine, olives or capers.

Recipe
4 oz uncooked whole wheat spaghetti (enough to make 2 servings)
4 oz fresh spinach (about half a bag)
2 Roma tomatoes, diced
2 T olive oil
1 T minced garlic
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
sea salt to taste

Boil pasta in a large pot according to package directions. Place spinach and tomatoes in colander that will be used to drain pasta. When pasta is done cooking, pour pasta and water into colander over vegetables, allowing water to drain out of the colander. Return pasta and vegetables to cooking pot, add olive oil and toss until pasta is evenly coated. Add garlic, parsley, and salt. Stir until combined.

No comments:

Post a Comment