Sunday, March 6, 2011

Diabetic-Friendly Key Lime Pie



I made this pie for my dad's birthday. Normally I prefer to use the most natural ingredients possible, but when I cook for my dad, who is diabetic, I have to shave off as many calories as I can. While I'm not a proponent of eating tons of sugar substitutes, I do believe Splenda tastes decent and has its place in most American diets. Cooking with Splenda can be tricky, as it is many times sweeter than sugar. It's always best to add less Splenda than the recipe calls for, then add more to taste. This Key lime pie came out delicious despite the fact that I cut many corners to save calories.


Recipe

Crust
1.5 cups graham cracker crumbs
3 T melted butter
1 egg white

Spray a 9-inch pie pan with cooking spray. Combine all ingredients in a bowl. Press into sides and bottom of pie pan. Bake at 350 for 7 minutes.

Filling
1/2 cup Key lime juice
1 can fat-free sweetened condensed milk
1/2 cup fat-free sour cream
10 packets Splenda

Combine all ingredients in a large bowl. Pour into prepared graham cracker shell and bake at 350 for 5-8 minutes. DO NOT overbake! Chill for at least three hours in refrigerator before serving. Serve topped with sugar-free whipped cream.

Sugar-free whipped cream
1 cup heavy cream
5 packets Splenda
1 t vanilla

Place all ingredients in bowl of stand mixer. Beat on high until cream reaches whipped cream consistency.

No comments:

Post a Comment