Sunday, May 8, 2011

Mothers Day Brunch Part 1: Decorations



Every year for mothers day I have my mom and grandmas come to my house for a nice brunch. I also love to have friends over for dinner parties, etc. I like to make everything from scratch and always have tons of food so no one goes away hungry. I have been asked before how I "pull it off," as a busy working person. Here are a few of my secrets...

I have used decorations for my last few parties and found that they make the environment much less formal and more fun. For the mothers day brunch, I saw some pink springtime party decorations at Hobby Lobby and was inspired. I started by hanging my decorations, along with some paper streamers, above the table as shown:

Ceiling decorations are eye-catching and are sure to wow any guest. I almost always hang things from the ceiling if I'm decorating for a party.


For the table, I always start with a crisp white table cloth and cloth napkins. These will go with any theme and can be washed in bleach if they get stained. Setting the table ahead of time always looks impressive to guests. I put wine glasses on the table and stuff the napkins inside them rather than buying fancy napkin rings. The "decorations" on the table include fresh flowers that match the color scheme (hot pink, in this case) as a centerpiece and little candles between all the place settings. I put all this on the table but there wasn't enough pink to tie the table to the ceiling decorations, so I cut up some of the paper streamers into "confetti" and sprinkled it all over the table. Fresh flowers, candles, and confetti- this combination looks classy yet festive. Confetti can be pretty messy, but the streamer confetti is light so the vacuum picked it right up.

As a final touch, I like to add some type of personal gift to each place setting. This time I found these little flower pot picture holders and made happy mothers day cards for each one.

My mom and grandmas were quite pleased with the final picture. I am leaving the ceiling decorations up for a while since they are so cheery :)

No comments:

Post a Comment