Sunday, August 12, 2012

Curried Chicken Salad

I went out for lunch recently to catch up with Stacey, a student I trained last year.  We decided to go to Leaf Kitchen , which is one of my favorite restaurants in Iowa City.  Simple, local gourmet food and a very fun, kitschy decor consisting of mostly reclaimed items.  It's always hard to choose just one thing from their menu.  Stacey ordered the curry chicken salad.  It looked amazing and I wanted to order it too but I ordered something else and vowed for my sake and Stacey's that I would try my best to replicate their salad.  This is my interpretation with some substitutions to make it lower in calories.  I'm guessing the restaurant uses full-fat mayo, no yogurt and possibly adds a little heavy cream.  I put mine on top of a bed of kale and took it to work for lunch.  With a side of fruit it was fantastic.  I've also seen this served as a sandwich on a toasted croissant, which I'm sure would be divine!

Curried Chicken Salad

2 T mayonnaise made with olive oil
2 T fat free plain Greek yogurt
1 t  dijon mustard
1 T curry powder
1 chicken breast half, cooked (I baked mine whole at 350 for 30 minutes) and cut into bite-sized pieces
1 stalk celery, chopped into bite-sized pieces
2 T dried cranberries
1/2 apple, chopped into bite-sized pieces

In a small bowl, mix mayo, Greek yogurt, mustard, and curry powder.  Place chicken, celery, cranberries and apple in a medium bowl.  Add mayo mixture and mix until all ingredients are well combined. Serves 2-3.








1 comment: