Sunday, February 20, 2011

Good Ol' Fried Rice



This recipe makes me smile. I learned to make this in a 10th grade home ec. class. I was completely obsessed with Chinese food at the time, and was very proud of my ability to make my own fried rice. I think I made this once a week at least throughout the rest of high school.

I have been sick to my stomach all week and am only tolerating bland foods at the moment. I have to work 12 hour shifts the next two days, and when trying to come up with a bland recipe that is still nutritious and has some protein, this came to mind. It's very low in fat, contains protein and vegetables, and is easy on the stomach. It's also dirt cheap and takes only a few minutes to make, making it an excellent weeknight standby recipe.

I felt like my former giddy 15-year-old self as I fried this one up tonight. All I need now is a Bush CD and my Doc Martens :)


Recipe

1 cup frozen corn kernels
2 cups frozen peas and carrots
3 cups cooked brown rice
10 oz. firm tofu, cut into bite-sized pieces
1 T minced garlic
1 T soy sauce
1 egg
1/2 t sesame oil (optional)

Spray a wok or a large frying pan with cooking spray and heat on high. Place corn, peas and carrots in wok and stir fry for 3 minutes. Add rice, tofu,garlic and soy sauce, stir fry another 2-3 minutes or until all ingredients are hot. Push fried rice to sides of the pan so there is a "hole" in the center. Crack the egg and drop it into the center of the wok and stir fry the egg until completely cooked. Mix the egg into the rest of the fried rice. Add sesame oil, if desired.

No comments:

Post a Comment