Sunday, May 2, 2010

Bittersweet Chocolate Cookies



On Sundays, I usually eat an early dinner and then have a snack during Desperate Housewives (second best show on TV. Of course, the first is Glee). I still had some frozen dough left over from last weekend's bittersweet chocolate tart (from www.101cookbooks.com, my absolute favorite food blog). The tart filling is simply dark chocolate, heavy cream, and an egg, and it is absolutely divine. I decided to make little cookies out of my leftover dough, and, reminiscent of the tart itself, I put a little chunk of good dark chocolate on each cookie. They came out crispy, not too sweet, and very tasty. I could have made them look a little nicer with a cookie press or by rolling them out and using a cookie cutter, but I didn't want to take the time. I had mine with a glass of iced green tea, but these would be perfect with wine, coffee, or milk.

Bittersweet Chocolate Cookies

1 stick unsalted butter, room temperature
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 large egg, room temperature
1 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
70-85% dark chocolate chunks

Cream butter, sugar, and salt until well combined. Add egg and mix until smooth. Add flour and mix until dough comes together. Refrigerate at least 1 hour.

To make cookies, break dough into 1 teaspoon pieces. Roll into little balls, then flatten and place on a baking sheet. Top each with a small chunk of dark chocolate. Bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes, until browned. Allow to cool completely. Cookies taste best chilled.

No comments:

Post a Comment